I am by no means a chef, and I wouldn’t even say I can cook. However there are a few things I can make and they always seem to be crowd favorites. This recipe for Vodka Sauce is one of my go to meals when I need to make something quick or for dinners with family and friends. The recipe can be customized to your desired level of spice, by using either hot, sweet, or a combination of both sausages. The red pepper flakes can be changed to your liking as well.
I typically serve this over penne or ziti cooked till al dente (usually a minute or so less then the recommendation on the box). I truthfully don’t use a recipe to make this, nearly all the ingredients I dump in to my liking, so the measurements included can vary to your liking as well. I add the heavy cream at the end until I get my desired shade of orange. This sauce also reheats well on the stove, I tend to add a little more heavy cream once its warmed up because it does thicken a little when refrigerated.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!
<3 BethanyPrint Recipe
- 1 lb Italian Sausage (either hot or sweet)
- turn of the pan olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 2 28oz cans crushed tomato (can also use sauce or diced depending on preference)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 tbsp vodka
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan over medium heat. Removed sausage from casings and add to pan until browned, breaking it up as it cooks.
- Once sausage is cooked add garlic and cook till slightly brown.
- Add crushed tomatoes, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste. Add vodka and parsley and allow to cook down for 15-20 min.
- Stir in heavy cream just before serving. This sauced is best served over penne or ziti.